Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Shameless Plugs: The Rocket Scientists @ Toronto SketchFest!

So, it’s been a while, Blogosphere! My bad. My bad. Under five posts previous I’d apologized for a delay over Christmas, and then suddenly I go off the radar for a month and a half! Terrible! I apologize sincerely for the lack of new and vaguely interesting material from this guy – I’m back on the horse! I swear! To be fair, the horse is ornery and slightly out of shape... but I’m back on it nonetheless! Huzzah!


One of the reasons I’ve been so out-of-touch, blog-wise for the past several weeks has been that it’s been a busy month for my sketch comedy troupe, The Rocket Scientists. We had a supremely kickass first best-of revue show. We sold out the John Candy Box Theatre and many laughs abounded! Chris had to re-apply the incredibly elaborate fake tattoo Brandon scrawled on him at intermission due to the gallopin’ sweats, and I may have given Brandon permanent brain damage after smoking him in the noggin’ with our on-stage door, but other than then, show went off hitchless! We kept up that momentum in February by putting in an appearance at the very funny Moniquea Marion’s variety show The C Bomb. We did a twenty-minute set to a small but very appreciative crowd, and it was awesome to do a show for people who’d never seen our work before!

This week is a very busy week for the Scientists. We’re very proud to have been chosen to take part in the 8th annual Toronto Sketch Comedy Festival (our name is on the festival's t-shirt! And we're in bold! WE'VE MADE IT, GUYS). We’ve got a show this Thursday at the Lower Ossington Theatre as part of the festival. We’ll be sharing the stage with some terribly funny troupes – Tony Ho, a troupe that has been called “the haunted house of sketch comedy” for their weird and dark material, and Primo, the “The Premium Brand Sketch Comedy of Toronto.” I haven’t caught a Primo show yet but I did get to see Tony Ho’s set last Friday at Comedy Bar, and it was fantastic. Super weird and twisted – I’m extremely excited to share the stage with such outstanding jokematicians. Also it turns out I went to theatre school (for 20 minutes, as I dropped out in my first week due to conflicts with my TV work) with one of Tony Ho’s members, Miguel Rivas. Cool guy! Very funny guy.
The Rocket Scientists have been trawling a bunch of Sketch Fest events this week – we took part in the Saturday night “sketchubator” where performers from the festival are invited to drink free beer and do their dumbest sketches in a safe environment of fellow performers. Comedy Gold! Chris and Kevin did the sketch that required Chris’ fake tattoo at that event – thankfully by that time we’d perfected the application process – and I did a special performance of Goldman Socks which went over pretty well too! We’ll also be competing for the “Stan Lee Cup” tonight at Comedy Bar as part of the festival’s “Nerd Off” competition.

We’re all super pumped about our set this Thursday. We’ve been rehearsing like mad all week and even got a couple notes from my dad, former Second City comedy teacher Todd Jeffrey Ellis. If you’re in the Toronto area, come on down to the Lower Ossington Theatre at 10pm, support local comedy, and laugh with us!

Also, this happened. Weird, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment